Saturday, October 6, 2007

Book Review: The Kingdom Keepers

Kingdom Keepers by Ridley Pearson is aimed squarely at the 'tweens who love visiting Walt Disney World with their families.

So, why I am I reading it? Well, I like books and I like Disney. It is a book about Disney...so...

I need to give my warning about this book first:
The author takes great liberties with the geographical layout of WDW and Walt's actual involvement with the Orlando parks. If you are a grown-up Disney Geek (Jeff's kids included), you will be dismayed with the inaccuracies and the leaps that the author takes to add suspense.
Ok, I did enjoy the book. This title rests firmly in the juvenile thriller-fantasy genre. It is sort of like a younger Da Vinci Code without all of the religious controversy. The Magic Kingdom is being taken over by the Disney villains and five young teens are tasked with saving Walt's Kingdom and deciphering the secrets left behind by Walt, himself. Here is where I start to yell at the book while I am reading it. Apparently, Walt left behind secret codes in the attractions that will help restore the magic to the Magic Kingdom. Including rides that weren't built until 10-20 years after he died. Uh, so how did that happen?

I do recommend the book, as long as you can detach yourself from your inner Disney Geek while reading it. It moved well, the characters were likable and the story was entertaining. It did have a pretty creepy moment where the dolls in It's a Small World come to life. That is the real reason I don't like that ride. It gives me the shivers!

I'm usually positive about most of my book reviews, but this one doesn't quite satiate my Geek needs. It is still a good read and most 'tweens will enjoy the premise and the hero aspect of the book.

Check your local library for a copy. That's what I did.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You are doing your Disney Geek duty and checking out all literature that claims to be Disney. Then you report back whether or not it's worth our time.

You are like the scouts of old that moved ahead of the wagon trains to make sure the coast was clear.

Greg said...

Your first sentence says the book is by Ridley Scott. Don't you mean Ridley Pearson? Or, did I miss something? By the way, I enjoyed the previous post about the picture spots. My family has been doing the same thing for years.

Jeffrey Pepper said...

I was generally disappointed with this book. It could have been so much more. I think the problem was that Pearson was commissioned to write the book based on his status as a bestseller author and co-writer of the Peter Pan sequels. But his passion for the subject is noticeably absent. The disclaimer you mentioned speaks to his lack of background when it comes to WDW and it history and geography.

The fantasy-tech elements made for a very odd juxtaposition, and the book's ending is ambiguous to say the least, if not a little bit bizarre as well.

Unknown said...

D.O.C. -- Whoops! Thanks for the catch on the author. I must've been confusing the book with Blade Runner (ha ha).

Jeff, thanks for the comments. I am assuming that the end was left that way so that he could finish the planned trilogy. I guess it just didn't have that Disney spin, like I wanted it to have. But still, the thought of the audio-animatronics coming to life just freaks me out (just ask my wife).

Ray--wasn't the scout the first person to get shot?

Unknown said...

George,

Yes, the scout ran the greatest risk of being the first one shot, but aren't you taking on that mantle with your being Imaginerding: Home of the Disney Geeks :)

You take on the danger so that we don't have to....lol

Unknown said...

I guess the worse thing would be the paper cuts!