Thursday, November 8, 2007

Daily Figment 102 - Wish List, Part Deux

For the second item on the Disney Geeks' Christmas Wish List, we are going to focus on another book that is a must have for every collection: Walt Disney's Epcot Center: Creating the New World of Tomorrow.

This is a book that is absolutely amazing in its scope and detail. Released in 1982, during the opening of Epcot Center, it is a 240-page tome that is filled to the brim with enough concept artwork, full-page spreads of models and full chapters explaining each pavilion and land to keep you busy for a long time.



Hands-down, it is one of the most visited books in my collection--for fun and research; history and day-dreaming. I am fortunate to have ridden all of the original Future World attractions during my 1994 visit: Horizons, the Sea Cabs, the World of Motion and the original Journey Into Imagination. But I still turn the pages slowly, waiting for the next image to appear. Wishing I could go back and experience the missed attraction one more time.


The book is very well-written. You get a true sense of the excitement that the Imagineers had while planning and designing the park. There are also some sneak peaks of attractions that were planned but never made it: Meet the World (Japan Pavilion), the entire Africa Pavilion and the Rhine River Ride in the German Pavilion. We've used it quite a bit for background material at Imaginerding.

Did I mention concept art?


If I could sum up this work with one sentence, it would be that this book represents the heart of EPCOT Center--the hope, dreams and intention.

Don't forget to check out our other Wish List item. Both of these books would make incredible additions to your library.


8 comments:

Greg said...

Definately adding this one to my list! I was a big World of Motion fan and have been searching for photos of the futuristic city finale of the attraction. Does the WoM artwork show much of the finale? BTW, enjoy MouseFest!

Disneyana World said...

I love this book.

You are 100% right that it is a must have.

Ryan P. Wilson said...

Everrything I've ever seen on this book is remarable, especially for people who like to look behind the curtains a little. This one has been on my must have list for a while, and no one ever seems to pick it up for me... Hmmm, maybe I'll have to give myself an early birthday/Christmas present.

Michael said...

This indeed an excellent book, but you folks who are looking for a copy might want to be aware that there are several editions that were printed.

The first edition is entitled "Walt Disney's EPCOT" and was issued before the park's opening. The second edition was called "Walt Disney's EPCOT Center" and appeared after opening day. There are several differences in the two, mostly in picture selection. The 2nd edition had more pictures of the park after it opened, while the 1st edition has more conceptual and construction photos.

Also be aware that there is a shorter version of the 2nd edition, clocking in at 100-something pages (sorry, I'm not at home to check at the moment) while the 'full' edition is more than 200 pages. Just something to keep an eye out for while you're on ebay!

(My research shows mentions of a later edition dated to 1985, but I have no direct proof of this yet...)

cheers
Michael

Unknown said...

Both of my 240 page books are the Walt Disney's Epcot Center. I have the 100-page version, as well. On the verso of the title page, under the ISBN, it is listed as a special edition.

Thanks for leaving a comment, Michael. I have added your blog to my bloglines account.

Michael said...

Cheers! I just discovered this page the other week and have enjoyed reading. You'll definitely make it onto our blogroll - we're still getting set up over there so I'm a bit behind!

Definitely make a point of trying to find a copy of the original edition of the book (minus the "Center") - I'm not sure if there are many textual differences but there are photos that aren't in the 2nd edition...

cheers!

elainamack said...

Great...another book I have to find...at least it is around gift giving time.

Unknown said...

Ha ha...

That's right. Over 100 books is still not enough!