Thursday, February 28, 2008

Daily Figment 175: Books, Books and More Books!

There are 147 books in my Disney collection. (Even I can't believe I have that many.) When Andy and I started Imaginerding, I only had one shelf of Disney books on the bookcase.

One of the first books that I purchased about Disney is probably the annual souvenir guide from 1993-1994 and I purchased it on my first trip to Walt Disney World. After that, I slowly built my collection; souvenir guides, park guides and a few Disneyland titles made up the bulk of my early books. Now, I collect the biographies, animation titles, company histories, academic treatises, coffee-table books and anything else that catches my fancy--like the official and unofficial guidebooks (which are great for researching old attractions). Of course, I have my share of trivia books, as well. I do have to thank my wife for hunting down most of these books. I make the list and she scours the net. I think she enjoys the hunt as much as I enjoy reading them.

You can see all of my titles by visiting my LibraryThing catalog.


Book Update

I've had a lot more books come in over the past few weeks. I decided to wait till I had a few to do a post.

9 comments:

Craig Wheeler said...

Your collection looks like a large version of mine. My first were a couple trivia books and a Walt biography when I was little. Then a couple imagineering books while in HS. I recently started collecting WDW books and have moved in to animation and biographies. I think I am closer to 50 books...so I've got some catching up to do ;)

Thanks for the heads up on the animation and Disney War books on sale at amazon. I am picking them up today.

elainamack said...

Does this include the books on the other shelf? The really old knowledge series, etc. ? I just had to butt in ya know.

Michael said...

But where are the reviews?! The reviiiieeeewwwsssssssss :)

As an aside, my collection is on an eerily similar shelf. My main problem is how to best collect all my random loose-leaf stuff and Disney Newses etc.

Now get to work! You've got reading to do!

FoxxFur said...

Yikes, decided to drop a pretty penny on those Disneyland photography books, did you? Don't get me wrong, they're beautiful books, but not quite something I was ready to spend almost $70 a pop on..

mydisneycollection said...

73 More books and you'll catch up with me. At last count I had 220.

Always great to follow the actions of a fellow Disney Nerd.

Disneyana World said...

Thanks for sharing this.

Very cool to see.

Unknown said...

Craig and Tom--Have you guys set up a librarything account? It is free (for the first 200 books) and then it is $25.00 for a lifetime account (or close). It is an easy way to catalog your collection--you just need the ISBN.

Tangaroa--I would get some heavy duty comic book bags and the non-acidic cardboard backers to keep all the ephemera that you have collected. That would make it easy to hold maps, napkins and other loose items.

Foxx--I really don't know...you would need to ask ElainaMack ;)

mydisneycollection said...

George,
I've never thought about cataloging my collection via ISBN number. Maybe I'll save that project for later.

Ditto on your comments to Tangaroa. Be safe - store archival. I buy a lot of my stuff from these guys:
http://www.the2buds.com/

Unknown said...

Tom--thanks for the links. I was going to get some stuff this weekend!
The only problem you'll have with LibraryThing is finding the correct souvenir guidebooks--especially with all of the ones you have!