|Map from the 1971 Story of Walt Disney World and from the Contemporary and Polynesian guest rooms in the 1970s.|
One of the more familiar un-built hotels is the Persian Hotel located on the western shores of Bay Lake near Tomorrowland. A spur line for the monorail would have been the main route for hotel guests.
|C Future Persian Resort-Hotel|
9. Bay Lake - 450-acre natural lake for swimming, sailing, fishing, and water skiing. Lined with four miles of white sand beaches.
10. Blackbeard's Island - Wooded island with landing dock, beaches, clearings for picknicking and excursions.Some of the obvious features of the island include a pirate ship, Spanish-style fort (very reminiscent of the Castillo Del Morro, which would be built a few years later at the Magic Kingdom) and a "cabin" next to an beached boat. From what we know of the island's history, the name Blackbeard's Island was followed by Treasure Island and ultimately Discovery Island. You can read more about Discovery Island, here.
11. Tri-Circle D Ranch - Home of all of the horses serving Walt Disney World guests, with saddle horses available for guided trail rides. Also a regulation-size arena.
12. Fort Wilderness - 600 acres of campgrounds among the beautiful cypress, pine and bay trees of central Florida. Sites are available for campers, trailers and tents-seven day limit. Many planned recreation activities-nature trails, boating, campfire programs. Free transportation to the Magic Kingdom. Sorry, no private boats or pets allowed-pets can relax at the Kennel Club.
13. Lake Buena Vista STOLport - Initial air service planned from airports in Tampa, Daytona and other Florida cities directly to Walt Disney World.Michael Crawford from Progress City, USA has the penultimate article on the STOLport. STOL is the acronym for Short Take Off and Landing. This would have been the preferred point-of-entry for most guests.
story line of the World Cruise or similar jaunts? I can imagine how exciting it would be to catch a glimpse of a feared pirate ship while on your way to the Magic Kingdom.