Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Fromage Homage

Do you happen to know the secret behind the name on a crate in the queue for the Jungle Cruise? What about the license plates on the cars at the Sci-Fi Dine In? Who is Egroeg Sacul and why does it matter?
A good friend contacted me about a new website, called Fromage Homage. She thought it was a wonderful idea and deserved some help and PR. Fromage Homage is a wiki-based fan site (like an encyclopedia) geared towards collecting the details that honor the creators of the theme parks, movies and resorts. In the words of the owner, Daryll:
I’m really interested in all the little homages in parks and movies to real people, places, and things. It’s just amazing to me the depth that it gives the parks and the feeling it imparts. The more of them I hear of, the more I want to hear. I hadn’t really thought about homages to architecture, as in Foxxfur’s article, but that seems to fit right in. It brings to mind a series of articles I saw on MiceAge by Werner Weiss that compared the facades in the Studios to their California inspirations.

I was just thinking it would be great to have a searchable resource for all these references in the park. I only know a few, and documenting them is a lot of work, so I thought it would be good to open it up to everyone.
It runs just like wikipedia; anyone can add, edit and delete information on the various records.
Stop by, check the out the site and register as a user. This could turn out to be a very important tool for Disney enthusiasts and researchers.

2 comments:

Gator Chris said...

What a fantastic idea. I love wikis.

DarrylDeFreese said...

Thanks a lot for the announcement. I can't wait to read the stories that others post to the wiki. And thanks for the kind words, gator chris.