Thursday, August 16, 2007

Daily Figment 42

daily_figment_02Go Disney Channel!

Disney's Mouse Is Ratings Big Cheese


Anthony Crupi


AUGUST 14, 2007 -


Disney Channel racked up its fifth consecutive ratings win, topping all basic cable networks in prime time with an average delivery of 3.06 million viewers.

According to Nielsen Media Research data for the week ended August 12, the Mouse continued its two-year streak in the kids 6-11 and ‘tweens 9-14 demo, averaging 1.29 million and 1.07 million viewers respectively.


The non-ad-supported Disney Channel notched eight of basic cable’s top 20 rated programs last week, posting its biggest numbers with the Friday night premiere of the theatrical Ella Enchanted, which drew just under 5 million viewers between 8 p.m. and 9:45 p.m. The net also continued to draw a crowd with its original series, Hannah Montana and The Suite Life of Zach & Cody.

MediaWeek

So, even though I am no where near this demographic, it is a good sign for the Walt Disney Company. The Teen and Tween demographics are two of the hottest properties out there. Snagging those two is great for the company; not only for advertising dollars and brand recognition, but for future growth.

I still wish that the Disney Channel would start re-running the old Vault Disney shows, though.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am not in their target demographic, but I have found myself watching Disney Channel alot in the late evening while my wife is at work.

I agree, I miss vault Disney. That is how I saw most of the movies Disney made while Uncle Walt was still alive

FoxxFur said...

So I kind of missed the boat when this whole marketing demographic labeled "the Tweens" suddenly appeared. Who are they? Where did they come from? How can they be stopped?

In all seriousness, I do miss the mid-late 90's Disney Channel, which was my exposure to much of the short-form classic animation, as well as an honest to god lifeline to WDW to me, then living in CT. Probably the only reason I knew or cared about The Disney Institute is they hosted half of the episodes of Inside/Out from it. And Vault Disney, too, was pretty great.

Unknown said...

"Tween" = "Between"...between kid and teenager

Where did they come from? Their mother's womb

How can they be stopped? Lower their allowance and parents not giving in to their demands