Toy Story 3 (Four-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy)
Over the past year, Disney has really stepped up the features on their Blu-ray releases. I was blown away by the recent Beauty and the Beast features and I was really looking forward to what I would find on the Toy Story 3 Blu-ray. I wasn't disappointed. A lot of the features really spoke about crafting the story and the artwork instead of focusing on the technology. When you think of a Pixar film, you assume that everything is crafted inside of the digital world. The behind-the-scenes features on the Blu-ray really show how much hand-drawn artwork goes into the movie.
Don't forget to pick up a copy of The Art of Toy Story 3 by Charles Solomon--it is an amazing companion to the film.
Toy Story 3 Bonus Featurettes:
The Rides - This is probably one of my favorite segments of the features. We get to go behind-the-scenes to see concept art and models for the latest theme park addition: Toy Story Land.
John Morris - a spotlight on the voice of Andy from all three Toy Story films.
Cereal Bar - a charming look at Pixar by its own animators.
Lending a Voice - The major stars of the film discuss their role in the Toy Story film.
Dancing With the Stars - a very cute feature that looks at the creation of a special dace.
TOY STORY 3 Blu-ray - Bonus Features:
- Day & Night – The innovative and entertaining short from the imagination of Pixar artist and Director Teddy Newton.
- Toys! – A closer look at all of Toy Story 3’s beloved toys from updating the classic characters to the creation of the Sunnyside Daycare and Bonnie’s Room toys.
- Buzz Lightyear Mission Logs: The Science of Adventure – Produced in conjunction with NASA, this hybrid animation documentary of Buzz’s visit to the International Space Station focuses on research in zero gravity and Buzz’s triumphant return to Earth.
- Paths to Pixar: Editorial – Pixar editors, past and future share anecdotes about their careers.
- The Gang’s All Here – A touching look at the returning voice talent for Toy Story 3 and an introduction to the voices of the new characters.
- A Toy’s Eye View: Creating A Whole New Land – A sneak peek at the new Toy Story-themed playland at Hong Kong Disneyland.
- Studio Stories – A series of amusing animated anecdotes about life at Pixar: “Where’s Gordon?” – An animator finds a hidden room at Pixar; “Cereal Bar” – The majestic and expansive Pixar cereal bar is explored; “Clean Start” – The Toy Story 3 animators shave their heads to mark the start of the film.
- Toy Story Trivia Dash – This cool game challenges you to sprint to the finish with Woody, Buzz, Jessie and Rex as you quickly answer questions about all three Toy Story movies.
- Cine-Explore – Commentary by Director Lee Unkrich and Producer Darla K. Anderson.
- Beyond the Toybox: An Alternative Commentary Track Featuring Leads from Story, Tech, Art and Animation – Commentary by Story Supervisor Jason Katz, Supervising Technical Director Guido Quaroni, Production Designer Bob Pauley and Supervising Animators Bobby Podesta and Michael Venturini.
- Beginnings: Setting A Story In Motion – Screenwriter Michael Arndt analyzes successful opening scenes from Toy Story, Finding Nemo and The Incredibles.
- Bonnie’s Playtime: A Story Roundtable – A roundtable discussion with Director Lee Unkrich and the story artists who brought the “Bonnie’s Playtime” scene to life.
- Roundin’ Up A Western Opening – The development of the movie’s exciting opening scene.
- Life Of A Shot – Toy Story 3 artists and technicians describe their contributions to a few of the shots in the film’s “Western Opening.”
- Goodbye Andy – An exploration of character design, acting and animation in the scene “Andy’s Goodbye.”
- Accidental Toymakers – By creating the Toy Story characters, the Pixar filmmakers found themselves in the unlikely role of toy designers. Meet the toy company that took a chance on manufacturing the now iconic toys and learn of their incredible success that began with a modest number of Woody and Buzz Lightyear toys 15 years ago.
- Making of Day & Night – The story behind the unique 2D/3D blended short.